If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (716) 639-8687

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Home Fire Prevention Tips

2/24/2021 (Permalink)

A House on fire It only takes minutes for an entire home to be enveloped in flames!

Home fires can begin very suddenly and very quickly after envelope the entire home. It only takes second for a fire to spread uncontrollably throughout the home and only minutes to cause permanent damage. Let’s consider some of the most common fire starters and what you can do to prevent them. Many home fires are caused by kitchen related accidents. These are often grease fires that occur when grease becomes overheated, causing it to combust spontaneously into flames. Never leave the kitchen unattended when cooking and be sure to scrub your pans thoroughly to prevent grease buildup. Approximately 12% of home fires are caused by electrical heaters. Avoid keeping fabric, like blankets or curtains too close to portable heaters. Also be sure to never use an electrical heater that has frayed or broken wires. In a similar situation, electrical wiring can cause fires. Older faulty wiring is susceptible to overloading or short circuiting. It’s a good idea to get your wiring checked out by a professional electrician, especially if you own an older home. Candles are often the cause of many home fires. You should never leave a candle unattended or place a candle near cloth or fabric that can easily light on fire. The lighters and matches that are used to light candles can be just as dangerous so keep them out of reach of children or in a locked area. If you follow these tips, you will make your home safer from a potential fire. However, if the worst does occur, SERVPRO is here to help you recover and provide the necessary services to make it “Like it never even happened.”

Other News

View Recent Posts